We are now a little over half way through the first month of a fresh new year and of course I’ve been thinking a lot about the things I’d like to achieve in 2017 and reflecting on how I did with my 2016 goals. Fancy joining me on this journey and simultaneously thinking about kicking ass with your own life? Come on then!
New Years 2015 I decided on my goals, sharing them with you and coming up with many you could have considered for yourself in my post Reach your Resolutions, I’d decided my 2016 goals were as follows:
1. Be happy and more mentally stable
2. Get healthy
3. Establish a skincare routine
4. Get tidy and become organised
5. Learn to drive
6. Get my first tattoo
A few weeks into the year I decided to take an initial look at how well I’d started off with them, documenting my findings in the post Recalling Resolutions then again in Resolution Reflection after the six month mark! It seems that I started off pretty impressively with many, the ones of which I could do, anyway, as goals such as my tattoo were time specific! Six months down the line and I weren’t doing quite as well, yet were still pleased with my progress in some aspects, comparative to past years. Again, the tattoo couldn’t be ticked off my list yet, not until September 27th, though I were in need of at least starting to consider choosing a tattoo artist of which I’d be happy with. Overall I were looking forward to seeing how the next six months would pan out for me, would I accomplish any of my resolutions for the first time?
1. So by the end of 2016, were I happy and more mentally stable? I have to laugh at this.. I mean, will I ever be mentally stable? It’s me, I’m some form of frickin’ alien! No but in all seriousness, this one is always going to be more of a work in progress, as it would be for anyone. Life has natural ebbs and flows, for me though, yeah it went completely and utterly to pot once more. Due to mostly, my working conditions, I started to become quite ill physically, which then had a knock on effect, of course, in other areas of my life and health in general. I felt completely trapped and all out of options, therefore deteriorating more and more, finally ending with a full blown breakdown, physically as well as mentally. So back to the GP it were and back on medication, which I feel has done absolutely nothing for me despite the multiple increases in dose, accompanied also by being signed off work and onto sick leave. I completely shut down, it may have even been the worst I’ve been, I aren’t sure. Due to a hopeless reception from Leeds IAPT previously in the year I were of course feeling apprehensive about having to reach out to them once more, and this is a whole other story. On the whole I ended off the year incredibly all over the place… Though I had finally started to get some support from Leeds IAPT and had done everything I could for myself in order to fight my desolate state. Lets hope that with some professional support that I may be able to see improvements in 2017!
2. The second of my goals were to get healthy, I wanted to establish a sleeping pattern that worked, eat better and get active. What started out amazing for me went to the dogs before the year were out. Where’s that sleeping pattern at? What’s one of those?!
3. A skincare routine is something I have always lacked, and still do. I’m not sure if this will honestly ever change. I cleaned my make-up brushes like, once more than usual in the year, and I did a little better with removing my make-up after a night out. My only real saving grace here is that I didn’t wear make-up for work, because who the hell has time for that at 5AM every morning?!
4. Never in my life have I been tidy and my organisational skills are just as shocking. With the help of a diary/planner and forcing myself to use it as much as were possible I actually think I did pretty well. I remained the same messy sod as ever although I did crack down and tidy my bedroom much more often than ever before, even finding that it no longer takes me as much time as it used to, 10 points to Davis, woooop!
5. Learn to drive… Hahaha, still didn’t happen! If it counts for anything I did send off for a form for information changes to my provisional license!
6. Finally something that went to plan! After ten years of knowing the placement and what I wanted, I finally got my tattoo in memory of my Granny, ten years after her death – 27th September 2016, it happened. If there’s one thing to come out of last year, this were honestly the one I wanted the most! I’m really happy with the artist that did the work and I know I’ll never have any regrets with this one… An elephant never forgets!
I have to say… I did a pants job of my goals for 2016, but – I made a start, that’s what’s important, right? After all I usually fail the lot in the first few days, each and every time, so by my own disastrous standards I’ve done pretty okay.. Will I be setting goals for myself this year? Hell yeah! Despite reaching them or not it’s the trying that counts and having something to at least try work towards helped to motivate and inspire me, this said – what would I like to accomplish in 2017?
1. Learn to Drive.
Yup, it’s here again, and like before this time I’m determined! I plan to send off my provisional for the relevant changes PRONTO then I can get on with booking some lessons finally. In an ideal world I’ll pass before the year is up!
2. Get my finances in order.
Without going into too much detail I have some odds and sods to pay off and plenty to save for. I hope I can finally get it sorted this year. The weight it will take from me will be unimaginable!
3. Be healthier.
I know this were there in 2016 and I failed miserably, however my appetite has diminished somewhat recently so who knows, maybe this could be the year I stop with the food binges?! Whilst I’m at it, I’m demoting alcohol to acquaintance status as opposed to best friend and I generally want to utilise my new treat to myself, the beauty that is my exercise bike… I will exhaust myself into developing a normal sleeping pattern!
4. Complete my endless household tasks!
I’ve lived here for seven years now and have yet to finish moving in, I have a ridiculous amount of shoes dumped in the cupboard and hallway of which I never wear, non started or unfinished house and garden projects… Everything! Well, I plan on compiling a thorough list in it’s entirety of the tasks I have to battle through and fully intend to accomplish them all once and for all!
5. Complete a course.
I stumbled upon a course last year, one of which has held my interest for quite some time.. This is purely for fun and personal fulfilment but this year I’d love to both start and complete this, with flying colours. I miss having some form of structured learning!
That’s pretty much the entirety of it.. Lets see if I can get anywhere with these ones. What were your goals last year and how well did you do with them? What do you yearn to achieve in 2017? Lets hold one another accountable, leave me a comment and together we can take over the world!
Disaster Davis x